The safari "sleepout" has become an exciting way to experience the open, clean skies of Africa, along with the sounds and scents of the wilderness. Far from civilization, you can observe the most spectacular display of stars and constellations from the comfort and safety of a rooftop "star bed", treehouse or sleeping platform.
Lion Sands Game Reserve's Chalkley Treehouse has been featured on the cover of Condé Nast Traveler and on the reality TV show, The Bachelor. Building on that acclaim, the reserve opened the Kingston and Tinyeleti treehouses in 2013. Each constructed on a tall wooden platform with a set of secure doors, the treehouses feature mosquito netting, a table for private dining, and a private "loo." Kingston also features a fully glass-enclosed bathroom with a shower.
Little Kulala Camp's spectacular glass-fronted suites overlooking the Namib Desert also feature minimalist rooftop "star beds" as an extra feature for guests to enjoy. Whether for an after-dinner repose or a full night beneath the stars, the star beds offer a view on the skyscape that’s not to be missed. Neighboring Kulala Desert Lodge also offers rooftop beds. A similar rooftop retreat sits atop each suite at Ol Donyo Lodge in the Chyulu Hills of Kenya.
The Malori Platform at Tswalu Kalahari, while elevated, is situated closer to the ground. Its romantic outdoor shower is surrounded by the vast landscape of the largest private game reserve in South Africa. No mosquito netting is needed in this malaria-free setting.
Botswana-based camps such as Abu, Savuti, Kings Pool and Duma Tau each feature a sleepout deck that guests can enjoy if arranged upon arrival. Zimbabwe's Ruckomechi Camp features a similar deck with mosquito netting, set above the surrounding plains.
Guests may enjoy an optional night under the stars during a stay at these camps, either at no charge or for a small extra fee.
For More Information, Call 1-800-543-8917
|Click Here to Email a Safari Specialist|
You may also like
- Greystoke Mahale and the World's Best Chimpanzee Viewing
- Vumbura's "Chocolate" Zebras
- NEW! The Highlands at Ngorongoro Crater
- Chiawa Camp: A Photographer’s Paradise
- Condé Nast Traveler Gold List 2014
- Newborn Elephant at Abu Camp
- Namiri Plains: A Whole New Serengeti
- Dunia Camp: The Serengeti's Year-Round Safari
- Discover Marataba Private Reserve
- Mashatu's Photographic Hides
- Duba Plains: Photography in Botswana's Green Season
- Lion Sands Builds New Tree Houses
- The Exclusive Safari: South Africa Edition
- New Sleepout at Ruckomechi Camp
- Interesting Elephant Facts from Camp Jabulani
- Discover the Sea's Greatest Wildlife
- Linkwasha Camp Reopens May 2015!
- Discover Lamai Camp's Secret Season
- Africa's Best Family Safari Camps
- The Jao Safari: Botswana’s Most Diverse
- Little Ruckomechi: Zimbabwe's Most Exclusive New Camp
- Africa’s Best New Camps & Lodges
- New Private Family Lodge in South Africa