Namibia isn't considered your typical wildlife destination, as its fame comes more from its goliath sand dunes and stunning orange landscape. If you look closely, however, you'll find reserves teeming with Africa's most sought-after wildlife.
Where Should I Go?
Etosha National Park is the most reliable wildlife viewing area of Namibia, and it truly delivers. Lion, elephant, two types of zebra, black and white rhinos, giraffe, gemsbok, springbok, and many more species are regularly viewed in Etosha.
In the Damaraland and Palmwag areas of Namibia's western half, famous desert-adapted elephant and one of the largest free-ranging black rhino populations in Africa are unique sightings you simply will not find elsewhere.
Okonjima is home to the Africat Project and showcases cheetah along with many antelopes, occasional leopard, and other small carnivores.
When is the Best Time to Go?
Research rainfall, temperatures and wildlife sightings by region and month with our Best Time to Travel tool.
What Itineraries Should I Consider?
The Classic Namibia safari introduces Namibia in a 10-day journey that can be easily combined with Botswana or South Africa.
For a more complete safari, Ultimate Southern Africa combines the best of these three countries in a three-week safari.
Or customize your safari with the Africa safari planner.
Image of Damaraland Desert Elephants © Olwen Evans
You may also like
- Lewa Becomes UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Mashatu Game Reserve, Botswana
- South Africa: Land of Diversity
- Borana Conservancy's Rhino Relocation
- Southern Africa's Best Walking Safaris
- The Big Five, Big Seven and Beyond!
- Wild Southern Tanzania
- Top Five Places to Spot a Cheetah
- Meet the Sabi Sand's 'Big Five'
- Southern Africa’s 7 Ultimate Sights
- Five Amazing Cape Town Experiences
- Kenya's Northern Frontier District
- Five Ways to Experience Botswana
- Serengeti's Great Migration
- Ballooning over Busanga Plains
- Africa's Hot Spots to Visit in 2017
- Top Three African Air Safaris
- Six Essential East Africa Experiences