Southern Tanzania is a world away from the well-trodden tracks of Serengeti National Park and Ngorongoro Crater. From the chimpanzee troops of the Mahale Mountains to the enormous herds in Katavi National Park and Ruaha and the dense populations of black rhino in the Selous, the western and southern reaches of Tanzania were made for adventurous safari-goers who appreciate being away from the crowds.
Who Should Go?
If you've already been on safari in the private reserves of Botswana, Namibia or Zambia and are looking for a similarly remote experience in East Africa, or, if you've been to East Africa before and want to see something new, southern Tanzania is for you. The Mahale Mountains are also a great combination with northern Tanzania's Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater, to add chimpanzee viewing to your safari experience.
When is the Best Time?
Many camps close mid-March through May, and the best time to go is generally June through September for the best wildlife viewing and weather. Read more in our Best Time to Travel section—choose a region and month for the most in-depth information on each area.
What Trips Should I Consider?
Ultimate Southern Tanzania is a 16-day journey across the entire western and southern circuits, including Mahale Mountains, Katavi National Park, Ruaha National Park and the Selous Game Reserve.
Hidden Southern Tanzania is a 9-day adventure that visits only the distinctive western regions of Mahale and Katavi.
Or, customize a Tanzania safari that includes a combination of these unique and remote areas as well as the famed Serengeti or Zanzibar.
|Click here to build your Tanzania safari|
You may also like
- Lewa Becomes UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Namibia: Where the Wild Things Roam
- Mashatu Game Reserve, Botswana
- South Africa: Land of Diversity
- Borana Conservancy's Rhino Relocation
- Southern Africa's Best Walking Safaris
- The Big Five, Big Seven and Beyond!
- Top Five Places to Spot a Cheetah
- Meet the Sabi Sand's 'Big Five'
- Southern Africa’s 7 Ultimate Sights
- Five Amazing Cape Town Experiences
- Kenya's Northern Frontier District
- Five Ways to Experience Botswana
- Serengeti's Great Migration
- Ballooning over Busanga Plains
- Africa's Hot Spots to Visit in 2017
- Top Three African Air Safaris
- Six Essential East Africa Experiences